Children and teenagers spend lots of time staring at displays, including TVs, computers, gaming consoles, smartphones, and tablets. In the US, children aged 8 to 12 spend, on average, 4-6 hours per day watching or even using screens, while teenagers can spend approximately 9 hours per day doing so. While screens can amuse, educate, and keep kids occupied, excessive use can have negative effects.
Families find it difficult to control their children’s screen time. A screen-time schedule and it’s never too immature for your youngster. As a general rule, think about the following:
- Limit screen uses to video chatting with an adult until the age of 18 months.
- Limit non-educational screen usage for kids ages 2 to 5 to no more than an hour per day during the week and three hours on weekends.
- During family dinners and outings, turn off all screens.
- Use parental controls and learn about them.
- Stop using screens as babysitters, pacifiers, or to soothe children.
- 30 to 60 minutes before night, turn off devices and remove devices from bedrooms.
Screens are all here to remain and have a lot of advantages. Making a family screen time schedule is never too early. Allow your kids to express their thoughts and worries. Additional pointers to bear in mind are as follows:
- Make sure the programming is age-appropriate by becoming familiar with it.
- Discuss what your child is seeing with them. Mention positive actions like cooperation, friendship, and consideration for others.
- Make associations with significant occasions or interesting locations.
- Be conscious of how advertising affects your decisions.
- Encourage your youngster to pursue interests outside of screens, like activities, music, art, & hobbies.
- Become a good example by doing so healthful screen usage practises.
- Children should be taught about online safety and privacy.
- Take into account your youngster or teen’s maturity and routines. A plan that works well for one family might not be suitable for another.
Screen use can be beneficial and healthful with the right advice and persistence.